November 13, 2006

Q and A: Safety

“Do you continue to make smart choices with your safety in mind?”

Yes, I think I’m safe. I’ll answer this in three parts- the role of my parent org Peace Corps, what I’ve done and do to protect myself and how I feel others decisions have affected me. I’ll veer off course too.

First, I play it smart when it comes to my safety, but even if I didn’t, PC Morocco has many safety policies via Washington lawyers to keep us in check. “Safety and security” is the slogan here, and the preferential treatment it receives I believe often overshadows the IGOs role as a development agency. I disagree with this, but can understand the reasoning.

I think the safety restrictions are overkill, but I’m also not responsible for the lives of other volunteers. There are a few countries, Morocco included, that I feel PC is in for diplomatic reasons first, development second. Jordan and China are two others. To clarify, Morocco is a 2nd world country, 3rd world in some areas. It has real needs, but I consider these infrastructure improvements, not like in some areas of sub-Saharan Africa. This diplomatic role pleases me and I think development and good will are synonymous.

In my site, I feel completely safe. I’m someone’s neighbor, friend, or brother and I know I now have people looking out for me, much less watching me with curiosity. I’m more afraid of mentally unstable dogs. In my market town of Jerada, I am fairly safe, although I’ve got some hard looks. It is a tough place, a burned out mining town. However, the best defense I’ve found is well timed eye contact and a smile. Beyond that, being male helps.

The biggest safety risk here is transportation. Thailand has tuk-tuks and Vietnam has riskshaws. New York has yellow taxis and London has black ones. Morocco has the white 1985 Mercedes Benz 240 SL, or “death on wheels.” It’s not the vehicle, but the drivers ambitions and a lack of law enforcement on the highways that make for a fast, reckless ride on the highway. Seven people die of automobile fatalities everyday in Morocco. My Grandpa Collins once said that when riding a motorcycle, you should sing “Near My God to Thee.” Maybe that applies to my taxi rides.

Finally, I want to reflect on how international politics effects on my life here. But I want more time with this and will return to the question later. I’ve been boning up on Arab and Islamic history as well as reading “idea” books on global politics that are applicable. I’d like to do as as W.B. Yeats said, "to hold in a single thought reality and justice."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for addressing that Zac--I don't believe you can allow yourself to let safety leave your mind when in another country. I too believe you can do a great amount of good by being there, but only if you are alive!! I believe you have a good grasp on where you are and the "rules" you must function in. Please don't loose sight of these as time goes on. Same principles apply next year, and the year after.... I'm sure they love you!!
Taylor continues to eat ice cream for you!! Are you serious about visiting? We very well may consider it if so.
Be safe--
Love
Cindy

James Z Collins said...

Aunt Cindy, I hope you do visit- I'll now flood you with emails. And if Taylor's going to unselfishly eat ice cream for the both of us, you need to buy him my favorite, Ben and Jerry's New York Super Fudge. None of that light stuff. I'm getting my fix here by freezing fruit yogurt. Also I had a friend just return from Belgium with chocolates.

Anonymous said...

Zac-Ben and Jerry's? We're committed to Braum's!! I'm sure he would try it--just for you!! I too am getting my fix on yogurt but with frozen cherries. It is quite good and takes care of the cold stuff. We will watch for the emails. What shots would we need? That is the kicker!!! Seriously we are considering it. Any chance you could save some of that Belgium chocolate? Our email addresses are the same. Isn't it amazing how the internet shrinks the distance of two locations?
Love AC

James Z Collins said...

No shots that I know of for tourists, no threat of malaria. I'll talk with doctors in 2 weeks and ask what they say. Cheers