November 23, 2006


Ahh, I heard last week that my mother didn't win Kansas Teacher of the Year at a Saturday banquet. She's still honored as District 1 Elementary Teacher of the Year. Mom, I'm happy for you. The light of recognition doesn't always shine on the righteous, so I'm glad you've been rightly honored. I thought of you recently when reading a line from the poetry of Wislawa Szymborska, in which she says "you're small, but you fly with mighty wings." Happy Thanksgiving!

Above is a photo outside the preschool in my site. I enjoy how the photo captured the hug and eyes closed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children are the same the world over - even tho they make look different - they all are precious. Your photos are a wonderful reminder that we are all much more alike than different. . . we must remember that! Thank you for the quote - you, your brothers, and your Dad are the ones who have allowed me to soar on my wings! Where can I find Wislawa Szymborska's poetry?
M

Anonymous said...

Google her name, use wikipedia or http://info-poland.buffalo.edu/web/arts_culture/literature/poetry/szymborska/poems/link.shtml.

She's a nobel lauret- 1 of the oldest poets to receive the honor. JC