October 4, 2006

Happy New Years Yesterday


What doesn’t change and remain, remains and grows strange. -Walt Whitman

The fall season is barreling in with several storms over the last weeks. Autumn weather is made for both expression and melancholy. For me, Autumn and the now passed September are also like the beginning of new year. Maybe this is conditioning from years of schooling. Like a new term, it comes with mixed feelings. Not wanting to leave the past behind, but anxious for the future. Having been in Morocco now eight months, I feel I’m settled and comfortable, but I look forward or dread several challenges in the coming months and year. One of those could be winter; Moroccans make a big deal of the season. They say once you become cold, its hard to warm up. Right now, I’ll embrace the chill in the air as the start of something new.

No comments: