October 23, 2006

End of Ramadan


Ramadan is coming to a close with the holiday Aid Al Fitr tommorrow and Wednesday capping off the month long festives. It has been difficult, if not chaotic at times. Hunger and thirst, shops closed, expectations of respecting faith sometimes tangling with assumptions of the faithless. But overall, a great experience that I wouldn't trade. I didn't fast all the time; not when traveling, hiking, or for several days after the first week when I became ill. But I found when I did, it made the evening meal, lftar more enjoyable. It makes you more thankful and it can teach you that the sweet isn't as sweet without the sour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zac...such an experience. You will treasure all such experiences in future years...Get all the memories that you can...

Anonymous said...

Zac...such an experience. You will treasure all such experiences in future years...Get all the memories that you can...