June 21, 2009

The Nokia Flashlight: The Ultimate Amenity

Recently reunited with my cellphone from Morocco, I instantly fell back on old habits: playing "snake" on the bus (yes, the Nokia default), programming my alarm, and using my flashlight excessively.

For service, I'm using the well-named, but dead-zone champion Umniah. After 2 days recently of being able to take calls, but unable to be heard, I was ready to switch over to the more expensive Zain network, but alas found the problem was with my phone's mic. Now the solution is to 'pack' it on the palm of my hand like one would cigarettes before every call to get a good connection.

And no Mom, I'm not smoking here. The coffee culture- an espresso and a smoke is just not what it is in francophone countries. However, the sheesha (aka hookah, arghila) fills that void and almost everyone, including conserative women, smoke.

No comments: