June 15, 2009

Arriving in Amman

I just arrived last night in the city and found a nice, cheap hotel room downtown near this mosque, Jmea Hussein. I find the green glow sticks on the minaret in the evening a nice touch. From shuffling by taxi around the city a bit today, I think I'll end up preferential to this area. It's the authentic heart of the city with all the good shops and is where the working class congregates.

After a 10 PM arrival yesterday, it took me an hour to find the office at the Jordan National Employment Center, but the reception was very nice and the staff and environment I'll be working in this summer seems to be great.

UPDATE: Days later, I saw this same mosque and a reporter roaming the surrounding streets on Al-Jazeera TV as they ran a report on Iraqi refugees not able to find work in Jordan (500k people), Syria (1.5 mill), and other neighboring countries. What a sad situation.

No comments: