August 21, 2007

Scorpions and Rational Thought


The scorpions have come back in greater abundance this summer. Last year, I found two in my house, while last week in one evening, I found three; one in the bathroom sink, another in the bedroom, and the last in the kitchen. It probably makes for a good excuse to sleep on the terrace. Or also because the interior of the house is like an oven at night after a hot day.

In the households of most of my neighbors, some family member has been stung this summer by a scorpion, with most similar to the one pictured above. My neighbor Bachere was stung a couple weeks ago and said he was up all night screaming. Although not deadly except sometimes with the young and old, they are the formidable opponent of man in my site. Near Marrakesh last month, a man was killed by a more deadly type of scorpion that simply looks vicious. The headlines in the national papers in the days that followed included complaints from residents about inadequate health facilities.

No comments: