August 21, 2007

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

(Sumona and Lindsey outside Lindsey's village near Taza.)

My friends keep leaving me. My best friend in Morocco and site mate Graham left many months ago for greener fields in England. Two close friends Sumona and Lindsey finished their service in June and have returned to the states. Jessie, a good friend and cheerleader for our region, left in July.

I miss these friends. Others fill in but can’t replace. I have fewer people to text message with Sumona and Lindsey gone. Little messages like “Grandma told me the best joke about a cow and a donkey giving birth to a hunting dog this morning over tea. tc” can have real meaning in the dead of winter. Or my favorite “What do you do..” always prefaces candid and often humorous lines.

I’ve had many moments that you want to talk with someone about and it’s nice to have someone close in proximity and friendship to talk with them about. So here’s to departed friends. We'll see each other again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I may be sitting on my porch in DC and reading this well after it was posted but it does seem like Morocco was only yesterday. You're a great friend and I hope it's sooner than later before we hang out again.