March 16, 2007

Strike Strike Strike

It’s been a strange week. Last Friday, I took a day trip to Oujda to meet with a consultant from CARE France (a branch of the large US NGO) about water systems, specifically wastewater management in Gafait. It was a productive meeting, although we ultimately didn’t connect because he was looking for an infrastructure project. Gafait’s water system was too developed. We were able to dive into other topics including his experiences from 20+ years in development work in Rwanda, Sudan, Kenya, Israel, etc.

After returning to Jerada and staying for Sunday souk, I got stuck there because of a national transit strike that still continues five days later. After 48 hours of strike, they extended it for another 72 on Tuesday. Yesterday, all regions of Morocco west of Taza had ended reach an agreement, ending the strike. The Orient region continues to protest, so I’m left in limbo.

I’ve been told that the transit workers striked to reduce fines, increase wages, and repeal a new “Road Code” bill that would require stricter safety standards. Several years ago, grand taxi drivers went on strike when the government tried to reduce their passenger limit from six to four. They perservered and continue to squeeze six.

So, I’ve been staying with Kareem this week, spending my time at the cafe, cyber and the parks department. I’ve also filled time by filling out my NCAA bracket. Notables: I have Michigan State and Crieghton in the Sweet 16; Texas, Louisville, Florida, and Kansas in the Final Four, and Florida repeating.

In all, Morocco normally operates at 80% for me. When I go into the cyber to use a computer, something inevitable doesn’t work like the mouse, buttons are stuck, or the W key is missing. Overall, the product works satisfactory as does the country. This week, that 80% feels like its been halved. In addition to no transport, the area was without internet connection for four days and power for two.

In hindsight, I could have hitched a ride at the beginning of the week back to site. However, we’re wanting (and still hedging) to go to Fes this weekend and I felt that I would have more trouble exiting Gafait then I would the much larger Jerada. Unlike many parts of Africa, Morocco does have good, reliable transportation (ie the train). But like any public transportation, you’re at the mercy of the providers.

No comments: