March 13, 2007

Camels and Donkeys


My niece Elizabeth asked a couple months ago if I had ridden a donkey or camel. I have ridden donkeys several times, but the Sahara trip was my first camel experience. Camels are a strange looking creature, they're skinny legs with large soft, padded feet to the ugliest tail that I've ever seen. However, every physical feature seems to have a necessary purpose, especially in the rugged Sahara. Down South they sell camel meat as a delicacy, often throwing in a hunk of hump, which is white like cheese and pure fat.
One of the more remarkable scenes on my last trip was seeing camel backed tourists in the Sahara hauling snow skis, which we're used for sand skiing juxtaposed with donkeys being used as transit on the ski slopes near Marrakesh to get from one lift to another.

No comments: