March 9, 2006

Rabat 3rd day



After sessions during the day that included an intro to Islam, some general info for administering medical help when a doctor is not available, and a more specific discussion of our environmental duties, we left for the Medina again, although our final destination was the sea. Traveling through the Medina this time was much easier; one of the guys I accompanied had lived and went to school in its perimeters while studying abroad. He said that after his third week of school, he was still losing his way and others would miss the whole day trying to find the school.

From the Medina, we cut through a casbah (fortified market/residency) to get to the Atlantic at dusk. After walking (not climbing) up to a higher elevation, the sea looked beautiful and visible outlined next to the city and ports. Its unlikely that Ill be posted in a costal area (maybe wetlands), so this will probably be my last visit outside of vacation to the Atlantic.

Tomorrow, we leave Rabat and go to our PC Training site for the environmental sector. After a few days their, we’ll be moving in with our host family. We’ll spend most of our time on the bus traveling to the site, so I look forward to seeing the countryside. I also look forward to learning the language, either Berber or Moroccan Arabic, although the paradox is that I always hated language classes in school. Hopefully I’ll be more motivated this time.

This post closes my rein of receiving free wireless from the cybercafe down the street (which incidentally charges 15 dirham an hour (1 dollar = 8.9 dhm). My roommate and I, another Mac user, operated our own quasi cafe; we must have had 3 at a time in the room most nights. Now, I probably will have only occasional email access.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably everyone else knows this, but I've learned if you click on the pictures - they will be enlarged! You look relaxed and happy Zac! Hope you will be able to enter a new message soon - it's a wonderful way to keep up with your experiences.
M

Anonymous said...

who are the people in this picture? You look very happy!!! Hope all is going well!