March 16, 2006

Like College Wrapped into Summer Camp


This past Sunday I learned that I will be learning Darija (Da-Rar-jha) for the next 11 weeks. Darija is the native name for Moroccan Arabic, and is used as reference because if I said I was learning Arabic, it would technically mean that I'm learning classical Arabic. In general, you could say that I'm learning an Arabic dialect. Other dialects in the world include Egyptain (used in Arabic films), Iraqi, Jordanian, etc. If one was to make the mistake that the Arab world is homogenous or lacks diversity, distinctions like the previous plus cultural elements like history, socio-economic status, media, and even religion (Sunni, Shia) provide examples of the Arab worlds richness. For example, I've found that many people that speak Darija also French fluent and speak some English and Spanish.

Along with Darija, other volunteers are learning Tamazight and Tashelhit, two native Berber languages that are found in the Atlas and Rif Mountains along with the surrounding lowlands. Although I am very interested in the history of the Berber which I find comparable to North American Indians, I'm excited to be learning Darija. As the national language, it gives me travel flexibility, allows me to work more on Arabic script (which I'm currently learning), and gives me more choice in chosing a secondary language. By this I mean that after May, I'll have the opportunity to find a tutor subsidized by the PC to work on Darija and maybe a second lang like French, Spanish, or Tamazight. Also, once I learn arabic script, I can self study classical arabic through literature.

Since Sun, I've been in a language tutoring session of 5 for 4 hrs a day, while the rest of the day has been spent on cultural/technical training. Our days are typically from 8-6 and the language is exhausting, but we still get quite a bit of free time. Popular activities in the evening and on Sun (our free day) include playing soccer with the local boys, shopping, and studying.

Of interest, yesterday when I was bargaining with a shop owner over the price of a handbag for a female volunteer, I was told that I was "trying to buy a camel for the price of a chicken." When he said 130 dirhams, I said 70. In response, he pretended to act insulted, then invited us in to his shop for tea. I've found that this is common, friendly bait; invite you for tea or talk, then sell you their goods or handicrafts. Coming from a cultural where the only bargining is done at the car dealership, pawn shop, or garage sale, this is something I'll have to get used to. Also, I don't view this friendly, covert approach should be called hustling. When a local shop owner Rasheet invited us into his shop, it took him 20 mins before he started selling us anything. First, he ordered his asst to prepare tea, which didn't arrive till 45 mins later. Next, he talked with us about Moroccan cultural and history. Lastly, he went for the sell, but in a way that emphasized making us repeat customers. In the end, he sold me a nice pair of camel leather slippers (I've been told its goat) for 100 dhms, 60 dhms cheaper than what he said was his regular price.

Next Mon, I leave to go live with my host family for the week and will begin what is called community based training. I've been told that one of PC's requirements in selecting potential families is that they have no English speakers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't need a camel for Christmas, but going where no English is spoken will be being in America..take care..dad

Anonymous said...

Just finished a BIG bowl of ice cream. Thought you would want to know. I'll keep you posted on flavors,etc. as the years go by.

Anonymous said...

To tn: they'll have ice cream over here in a few months when it gets hot. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the pastries. I do miss Coldstone.