January 11, 2007

Mountain Man in Lalla Shafia


A month ago Graham and I hiked a small mountain with the parks dept. in SIBE Lalla Shafia for observation. As they knew and we were introduced to, a hermit lived in a cave near the top. The elderly man lives by himself back into the cave, and has arranged a nice place for himself with rooms, kitchen, and toilet. It’s image would make a 10 year old jealous, while an adult might think “nice camping.” I thought about bats and rabies. I read a report earlier that bats spread the virus silently; painlessly and without visible detection. And after 72 hours of going undetected, it’s terminal. With this, I tightened my scarf and encouraged Graham to take his jacket off.

I would have liked to take pictures of his abode, but thought better of it after a technician was yelled at when he brought out his camera lens. The photos were taking at an elevation of 1500 meters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Zac--am loving the adventure
Love AC