April 10, 2006

How Girls Play - Elbow Tag


I went to a Berber village on Sun with some other volunteers. We planted approximately 700 olive trees as part of a training exercise. The trees were provided by PC, while the community of 400 was responsible for our food and entertainment. When we arrived at 9 AM, we had tea with something I can only describe as mushy rice with butter. After, we planted trees till 1:30, then ate tajin for lunch, had an hour break, then were provided entertainment which included village men playing drums and singing. Two hours after lunch, we had our second meal, coucous. I've decided that Moroccans like to feed me like my grandmothers- till your stuffed and then they'll offer you more. I'll post a photo later of the drumming which included hand drums (like tambourines) and a big bass made from animal skins. These men had great voices, but were probably outdone by the women who performed later but which we did not witness because some of them were not married.

Check out "my photos" link. I posted a photo of a berber man who we thought looks and has the same mannerisms as Sean Connery. When we talked with him, we heard a little of the scottish draw too- "I thought Christmas came only once a year."

No comments: